Accessibility & Translation

Free English Language courses for people arriving from Ukraine 

Are you here in the UK on one of the following visas? 

Ukraine Extension Scheme
– Ukraine Family Scheme
– Ukraine Sponsorship Scheme (Homes for Ukraine)

If so and you would like to learn English quickly, join one of our free English courses (ESOL courses) 

What is an ESOL course? 

ESOL stands for English for Speakers of Other Languages. Entry Level ESOL courses up to Level 2 are free for people who speak English as a second or other language, and who are resident or permanently settled in the UK. You will need to show evidence of your residency in the UK along with proof of income or UC. Learning or improving your English will help you to increase your independence, as well as develop the language skills you need for everyday life, employment, and further study.  

Classes are part-time and run during the week in the morning, afternoon, or evening so that they can fit around your personal schedule. These courses run termly so you can join at various points throughout the year depending on availability.   

See our full list of ESOL courses here.  

What will I learn? 

ESOL courses provide you with a thorough introduction to the English language, covering all four skills: Listening, Speaking, Reading, and Writing. There are courses that focus on improving reading and writing in English, and some Entry Level 2 and 3 courses also include Maths. You also learn citizenship and employability skills, for example how to write a CV and a cover letter in English, and job interview techniques. 

What will I need? 

When you apply to one of our ESOL courses, you will need to take a short test so that we can assess your level and enrol you on the best course for you. All assessments take place onsite at interview/enrolment and can be taken online or paper-based. 

What location are these classes in? 

At Capital City College Group, we have three main colleges, City and Islington College (CANDI) Westminster Kingsway College (WestKing) and The College of Haringey, Enfield and North East London (CONEL). All our colleges have ESOL courses available (please see below) so you can select a college course which suits you.  

City and Islington College (CANDI)

  • Finsbury Park Centre (Centre for Lifelong Learning, 28-42 Blackstock Road, Finsbury Park, N4 2DG) 
  • Camden Road Centre (Centre for Business, Arts and Technology, 444 Camden Road, N7 0SP) 

Apply for these ESOL courses via the CANDI website: 

Westminster Kingsway College (WestKing) 

  • Victoria Centre (Vincent Square, London, SW1P 2PD) 
  • Soho Centre (Peter Street, London, W1F 0HS 
  • Regents Park Centre (Longford Street, London, NW1 3HB 
  • Kings Cross Centre (211 Grays Inn Road, London, WC1X 8RA) 

Apply for these ESOL courses via the WestKing website:

The College of Haringey, Enfield and North East London (CONEL)

  • Enfield (73 Hertford Road, Enfield, EN3 5HA) 
  • Tottenham (High Road, Tottenham, N15 4RU) 

Apply for these ESOL courses via the CONEL website: 

I have travelled to the UK from Ukraine, can I enrol on an ESOL course? 

Yes, you can enrol in one of our ESOL courses if you are from Ukraine (See above). As an individual living in the UK under the Ukraine Family Scheme or the Local Sponsorship Scheme for Ukraine, you can also enrol your children aged 16 – 18 onto one of our further education courses.

Please see our full course list here. 

If you require any further information on applying to study with us, please use our contact us page. 

Queen's Award for Enterprise