ABOUT THE COURSE
This course requires you to have 350 of work placement hours in an early years setting, where you will be supported by a tutor and an assessor who will visit and directly observe you carrying out assignments.
All learners will be required to complete placement hours to make 350 hours total:
0 to 1 year 11 months - 25 hours
2 to 2 years 11 months - 133 hours
3 to 5 years - 195 hours
WHAT WILL I STUDY?
Topics covered can include:
- Health and Wellbeing
- Legislation, frameworks and professional practice
- Play, development and learning for school readiness
- Professional development
WHAT WILL I NEED?
You will need:
- To be aged 19 or older
- Level 2 qualification in a childcare or related subject
- Functional Skills in English and Maths at Level 1 or equivalent
- Experience of working in a childcare setting
- Two references from current and previous work placements
- Enhanced DBS Check - we are able to advise you on how to apply for this, but you must pay for this in advance of work placements
All applicants must have an interview to confirm that the course is suitable for them.
You must have secured a work placement, ideally before the course begins, and definitely within the first 4 weeks of enrolling onto the course. As work placement is mandatory, you will not be allowed to continue after the first 4 weeks if you do not have a placement secured.
HOW WILL I BE ASSESSED?
The course is assessed throughout the year and with an end-of-course portfolio.
WHAT WILL IT COST?
If you will be aged 16, 17 or 18 on 31 August in the year you begin your course, and have been resident in the UK/EU/EEA for the past 3 years, it will be free. Some courses will have other costs associated, such as for materials and trips. Many of our students are eligible for financial support when studying at college – please click here for more information.
WHAT CAN I DO AFTER?
This course will help you to move on to higher level courses, such as a Foundation Degree, an apprenticeship or other employment in the sector.