This qualification aims to assist you to develop knowledge and understanding of the principles of caring for those with dementia. It covers areas such as person-centred care, the influence of positive communication methods, issues relating to the use of medication for those with dementia and the importance of providing appropriate activities. The qualification doesn’t infer competence in the work role but can be used to support the underpinning knowledge and understanding needed for those working in or towards a dementia care role.
This qualification is useful for anyone who would like to develop an understanding of dementia care for use in either work or a personal capacity. These may be individuals who wish to progress towards further qualifications or individuals who wish to study this programme to complement other programmes (e.g., health and social care, children’s care, learning and development, voluntary and community work).
You can enrol on our FREE distance learning courses from the comfort of your own home, with all workbooks and assessments available online with the help of your tutor who will be assigned to support you throughout your training. All you’ll need is a computer (laptop or PC, Windows, or Mac), tablet and access to the internet.
Awarding body: NCFE/CACHE
Duration of course: 2-3 Months
Guided learning hours: 123
To be awarded the Level 2 Certificate in the Principles of Dementia Care learners are required to successfully complete 7 mandatory units:
• Unit 01 – Dementia awareness
• Unit 02 – The person-centred approach to the care and support of individuals with dementia
• Unit 03 – Understand the factors that can influence communication and interaction with individuals who have dementia
• Unit 04 – Understand Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in dementia care.
• Unit 05 – Understand the administration of medication to individuals with dementia using a person-centred approach
• Unit 06 – Understand behaviour in the context of dementia
• Unit 07 – Understand the benefits of engaging in activities in social care
To enrol with us you must live in London or a non-devolved area of England and
· Be aged 19 or over
· Be able to provide a British or Irish Passport with three years’ residency in the EU/EEA or
· Have a European Union Settlement Scheme residence (EUSS) with three years’ residency in the EU/EEA and UK and have lived in the UK prior to 31 December 2020 or
· Have a biometric residence card permitting study in the UK along with having lived in the UK for the at least the last three years and
· Be able to provide current proof of JSA, IS, UC or ESA or proof of salary
Register interest and BOOK NOW
• You will be contacted and asked to complete a short English assessment and enrolment, on-line or at the College
• If you have any further questions, or are unsure if you meet any of the eligibility criteria for a free course, please contact the Distance Learning Team: email@example.com - 0207 931 6903
FREE – If you meet the eligibility criteria
The qualification can support progression to further sector-specific training and qualifications for the following types of roles:
• Healthcare Support Service Worker
• Nursing Assistant
• Healthcare Assistant
• Mental Health Support Worker
• Clinical Healthcare Support Worker