Quality Oversight Group
Terms of Reference
The oversight group shall consist of at least 5 members of the Board, one of which must a student. There will be at least two co-opted members who will have appropriate expertise.
College Principals and the Director of Performance and Quality shall be in attendance at the invitation of members. Other staff may be invited to be in attendance for specific agenda items, with the purpose of answering questions from oversight group members if it is deemed appropriate.
The Director of Governance shall be in attendance and be responsible for:
- advising the oversight group on matters in relation to the Instruments and Articles of Government and other associated regulations;
- taking or overseeing the taking of minutes of the meetings.
The oversight group will meet once a month, or as required.
The quorum for meetings will be 40% of the membership.
Members are required to disclose any interest or conflict of interest they have in any matter being considered at any meeting at the earliest opportunity and before the item is considered. A member should withdraw from this part of the meeting if the interest could be perceived as being likely to interfere with the exercise of a member’s independent judgment and if required to do so by a majority of those members present, and must not vote on the matter.
The Role of the Oversight Group
The role of the oversight group is as follows:-
- To monitor and hold senior leaders to account with respect to the achievement of strategic objectives in relation to teaching and learning, including the delivery of actions within the Group’s quality improvement plan;
- To review reports of inspections and other quality assessments and to monitor the implementation of action plans and in particular to consider:
- Group Self-Assessment
- Teaching and Learning Reviews
- Quality Control of Franchised Provision
- To oversee the quality of apprenticeships and other non core activities, including commercial and international activities;
- To consider and contribute to planning associated with major strategic curriculum issues;
- To co-ordinate the activities and agendas of the college education boards and if deemed appropriate to ask education boards to consider local issues in more depth and report back to the oversight group;
- To make recommendations and provide advice to the Board with respect to quality issues;
- To consider and monitor outcomes of student surveys and student focus groups;
- To receive reports on Government and other national initiatives related to Curriculum, Quality and student engagement and consider the Group’s strategies/responses;
- To receive reports with respect to the Group’s HE curriculum offer, including the annual HE report;
- To oversee the Group’s policies in relation to the professional development and performance of teaching and lecturing staff.
The oversight group has no delegated financial powers.